Fresh and light gluten-free vegan fritters with a nutty roasted Macadamia Nut Butter sauce.
Healthy food is just a fritter away with this delicious and easy recipe. Make these flavour-loaded herb fritters as a delicious main or snack to have to hand whenever your hunger strikes. It can also be served as a tasty side, at room temperature, and really boosts a quick lunch salad.
Macadamia Nuts is an excellent source of antioxidants, boasting some of the highest flavonoid levels of all tree nuts. Who would have thought that a snack can help you fight inflammation and protect your body against cellular damage, right? You’ve got to try it!
Serves 4 (Makes 8)
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
- 125ml (½ cup / 130g) Mokhado Roasted Macadamia Nut Butter
- 80ml (⅓ cup) plain dairy-free yoghurt
- 1 (2g) small clove garlic
- zest of 1 lemon
- 30ml (2 tbsp) lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- 500ml (2 cups / 60g) coriander
- 250ml (1 cup / 30g) basil + extra to serve
- 250ml (1 cup / 30g) mint
- 180ml (¾ cup) almond milk
- 160ml (⅔ cup / 50g) bread crumbs
- 60ml (¼ cup) rice flour
- 45ml (3 tbsp) Mokhado Roasted Macadamia Nut Butter
- 30ml (2 tbsp) nutritional yeast
- 15ml (1 tbsp) cumin seeds
- 1 (25g) spring onion, chopped
- 1 (4g) clove garlic
- salt and pepper
- Mokhado Macadamia Oil, for shallow frying
Combine all of the ingredients and blend until smooth. Season it to taste. Refrigerate until needed.
Combine the coriander, basil, mint, almond milk, bread crumbs, flour, Macadamia Nut Butter, nutritional yeast, cumin, spring onion and garlic in a food processor and pulse until fine. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
Heat some macadamia oil, for shallow frying, in a large pan over medium heat. Spoon ¼-cup portions into the hot pan. Fry for 2-3 minutes on each side until golden and crisp. Drain on kitchen paper.
Serve the fritters with a dollop of the prepared sauce and scatter some basil on top.
TIP: If the nut butter and yoghurt sauce thicken on standing, simply whisk in a splash of cold water to thin it out.
TIP: Smaller portions of the fritters are perfect as a filling in vegan wraps, tacos or pitas.